Monday, June 30, 2008

Work+Play

The RIT summer transfer has been keeping me busy. It feels really good. While I have been I have been working to create lots of things, I have been playing too. This past Saturday night the "Photo Transfer Kids" went to a friend's roommate's party, like typical college kids. The nine of us instantly overpowered the seven people that were already there. This was comfortable yet oddly unstimulating. I didn't feel like talking photo this night.
In Los Angeles, when a college kid goes to a party, you only expect to know the people you came with, maybe a couple random faces in the crowd. Rochester is worlds apart. As more people arrived at the party, the more people knew each other. Conversations were started everywhere as old friends reunited. Soon enough, the summer transfer kids were the odd ones out, quietly chatting amongst themselves. We only knew each other and were not crossing any social dividers. I removed myself into the kitchen. From across the counter I observed. There is something truly amazing about staring into the eyes of human interaction. I became an outsider watching this phenomenon. It made me smile all over. Everywhere people were humming with laughter. Awkward gender interactions were mixed with nineteen year old sexual tension. Old friends told familiar stories while new friends were made. It was like watching a perfect moving photograph. Everywhere I looked flawless scenes of social interaction were being made. I am on the outside living it. My friends look over as I watch. I look through them, taking it all in. History is made. As quickly as it began, I let the moment end. I submerge myself back into the whirlpool of humanity. I become them, laughing awkwardly at strangers sexual jokes.

No comments: