Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Time is a flying...

It's already Wednesday?! I think of Sunday, and it feels like ages ago. Things have been really busy, but, I'll try and recap. I have completed a number of assignments. We wrote a biography, and shot an introduction photograph using digital 35mm. We also wrote a future autobiography and photograph to accompany that using large format, 4x5 "Fujiroid", film. Today we shot a still life in the studios using 4x5 chrome, positive film. Today's assignment was to buy 10 items at the dollar store and compose a still life with these, this was called, "The Dollar Store Daydream". The whole class has to re-shoot the bio photo to improve upon the things we talked about during the critique. While it does not seem like we have a lot of assignments, combined with class time, I'm booked. We get to class at 8am, work until twelve or one and have lecture at two. This break does not allow enough time to do anything besides eat. After class finishes at four or five, I go back to my dorm to let my brain relax a little. At about seven I am usually hungry and ready to eat. The problem is that dinner hours for on campus food are 4:00-6:00pm. The only option left for me is to bum a ride with someone for dinner.
Yesterday, after class, four of us went to the dollar store to purchase items for our assignment. Four turned to five, then six, as we ran into fellow students shopping for "The Dollar Store Daydream". Afterwards, we all decided to eat at Applebee's for dinner. I explained to them that on the West Coast, Applebee's is quite the Old People's diner but they brushed it off. It is quite the hot spot in Rochester. I had a cheese-infused piece of chicken, it hit the bottom of my empty stomach like a ton of bricks. Today I ate much better. Evan, Nate (another classmate/friend), and I went out to eat. After several minutes of intense deliberation, we settled on the "Dinosaur Bar-B-Que". It was a fifteen minute drive downtown. I must say I was more than a little skeptical. But after ordering the "Texas Beef Brisket" I left my appetite in the hands of a BBQing dinosaur. Surprisingly, it was delicious! The soup of the night was "Roasted tomato and onion" and combined with the seasoned fries, it was damn good. The brisket reminded me of Tri-Tip, which the waitress never hear of, was okay. Rochester Eating - 1, Graham's Stomach - 1, fair tie. I probably should be using my meal plan, but when Applebee's becomes hip and dinosaurs are cooking, you have to seize the opportunities in front of you.
It would be good if I could write about my actual classes, but once I am done with my school day, I don't really want to think of it any more. Not that anything is wrong, it's a lot of fun and work, my brain just wants to be free to ramble. One thing to mention is my teacher, Dan Larkin. He has been very helpful to all of the students and has organized some interesting field trips coming up within the next couple weeks. Well, until next time, peas and eggs.

Oh yeah,
OBAMA!!!

No comments: