Friday, August 22, 2008

Winter

Almost every time someone asks me where I am from they are shocked when I say California. They realize I have never had a "Rochester Winter" and they chuckle menacingly. "Oh you are in for a treat." Or, "Why would you leave Los Angeles for this?" These comments bring up feelings of fear and wonder. I do admit I like Rochester a lot. The weather, the clouds and the sunsets are beautiful. Yes, it is humid and sticky, but Southern California has its issues too. I do not miss the dry dead heat and the 100+ temperatures. The piece that I cannot fathom about upstate New York is the winter. I try and try but I cannot see everything covered in a white blanket of snow. I'm sure it will be okay. I know I will live through it. But when we are put into a situation we have never been in before, we inevitably grow. I am looking forward to my eyes being graced with something completely new. Heck, I have been in the snow a hand full of times and even less in a real snow storm. My photographs will become soft with snow and white with snowflakes. I found some photos by Evan Baden that inspired me to write about winter.

Image © Evan Baden

No comments: